Mariel M. Muir Excellence in Mentoring Awards
The Mariel M. Muir Excellence in Mentoring Award honors one faculty member and one staff member for their dedication to mentoring students, faculty, or staff. Texas State University named this award in honor of Dr. Muir, the former dean of the College of Science and Engineering, to recognize her strong commitment to mentoring as a way to ensure the success of students, faculty, and staff. Each honoree is recognized at a luncheon and receives $2,500.
- Critical support that assists the mentee(s) in functioning effectively in the organization.
- Sustained commitment to a professional relationship with an individual or individuals that results in career growth or the personal development of mentee(s)
- Behavior, attitudes, and/or skills that aid mentee(s) in achieving competence, confidence, and professional standing.
Monday, Feb. 1, 2021
- Faculty nominations should be submitted to the dean of the nominee’s college.
- Staff nominations should be submitted to the nominee’s director/department chair/dean.
Monday, Feb. 15, 2021
- Directors/department chairs/deans forward faculty and staff nominations to their vice president or director of athletics.
Monday, March 15, 2021
- Each vice president and director of athletics submits faculty and staff nominations to Dr. Debbie Thorne. Please note: there is no longer a limit on the number of applications that may be forwarded for review by the selection committee.
Nomination Packet Requirements (up to 15 pages)
- a letter of nomination and support which should include reasons for the nomination and the period during which the mentoring occurred
- a brief personal sketch/biography that describes the nominee’s mentoring activities and impact of those activities
- up to four additional letters of support from colleagues, co-workers, or students
Review UPPS 04.04.36, The Mariel M. Muir Excellence in Mentoring Awards for more information about the nomination process.
Eric Algoe, Vice President for Finance and Support Services
Dr. Debbie Thorne, Associate Provost
Anna Edmonds, Executive Assistant, Vice President for Finance & Support Services
Tina Guerrero, Senior Administrative Assistant, Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
Thank you for your participation in this initiative to honor Dr. Muir’s memory and to recognize the importance of mentoring as a part of our educational mission.