Laser Safety Committee
The LSC is composed of a group of administration, faculty, and staff appointed by the University President via the Dean of the College of Sciences to establish policies and regulations governing the use of ionizing and non-ionizing radiation and lasers. The president has designated the Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs as his duly authorized representative on matters relating to Laser Safety.
- Establish policies and procedures, as well as provide administrative advice regarding radiation and laser safety;
- Approve or disapprove all applications, amendments, and renewals relating to the use of lasers in a timely manner;
- Receive and review reports from the LSO on monitoring, surveillance, and personnel exposure;
- Monitor procurement, use, and disposal procedures;
- Take appropriate corrective action on laser incidents, including administrative guidance and license suspension or revocation;
- Serve as an avenue of appeal in cases of dispute and exception to actions by the LSO.
- Chair as appointed by the President
- Representatives from each department that utilizes lasers
- LSO (Ex-Officio)
- Additional members who are experienced in dealing with non-ionizing radiation, or lasers.