Holiday decorations are often fire hazards. Follow these guidelines to improve fire safety during the holidays:
- Do not use live Christmas trees in University buildings unless they are treated with fire retardants. Use an artificial tree that is fire resistant.
- Do not place holiday decorations where they may block emergency egress (e.g., stairways, corridors, near doors, etc.)
- Only use decorations that are flame retardant.
- Practice good housekeeping by minimizing paper and other combustible decorations.
- Avoid using extension cords.
- Use FM or UL labeled electrical decorations.
- Do not light candles or use other decorations with open flames.
- Turn off lights when the room is unoccupied.
Revised November 2014