The greatest protection against property loss and injuries from fire is prevention. Follow these guidelines to promote fire/life safety:
- Minimize combustible storage.
- Store waste materials in suitable containers.
- Use flammable materials in well-ventilated areas. Use and store flammables away from ignition sources, such as cigarettes.
- Keep equipment in good working order. Have electrical wiring and appliances inspected regularly.
- Ensure that heating units are properly safeguarded.
- Do not hunt for gas leaks using a open flame. Use approved gas indicators.
- Report and repair all gas leaks immediately.
- Conduct hot work in well-ventilated areas.
- Test enclosed or confined spaces for flammable atmospheres.
- Use open flames carefully. Do not use open flames where flammable atmospheres may be present.
For more information on fire/life safety, refer to other chapters in this manual, including Emergency Preparedness, Electrical Safety, Laboratory Safety, Chemical Safety, Confined Space, etc.
Revised November 2014