General Office Safety
A large percentage of workplace accidents and injuries occur in office buildings. Like the shop or laboratory, the office requires a few preventive measures to ensure a safe and healthful environment. Common causes of office accidents include the following:
- Slipping, tripping, and falling hazards
- Burning, cutting, and pinching hazards
- Improper lifting and handling techniques
- Unobservant and inattentive employees
- Improper office layout and arrangement
- Dangerous electrical wiring
- Exposure to toxic substances
The following sections address several office safety practices. Other preventive measures not mentioned here might be necessary also.
The office building is not a sterile working environment; common workplace hazards can be extra dangerous when you ignore them.
Refer to other chapters in this manual, such as Electrical Safety, General Safety, Fire/Life Safety, and others for more information on workplace safety. Always use common sense when safety is a concern.
Reviewed November 2014