With regard to the use of licensed radioactive materials, these policies apply to sealed sources as well as to open isotopes regardless of physical or chemical form.
- Radioactive materials may only be possessed by or under the supervision of individuals who have been formally permitted.
- Permit Holders or their designees shall obtain approval from the Radiation Safety Officer (RSO) before placing an order for radioactive materials. Approvals are also required before Permit Holders receive radioactive materials via transfer from another licensee, via donations, etc.
- All sources of radiation shall be secured from unauthorized access or removal.
- All radioactive wastes shall be disposed through the RSO or via written procedures approved by the RSO.
- All persons are responsible for safe working practices and for maintaining their own exposures to ionizing radiations As Low As Reasonably Achievable (ALARA).
- Each user is responsible for reporting unsafe practices and/or rules violations to the Permit Holder or, if responses are not satisfactory, to the RSO or the Texas Department of State Health Services.
Revised November 2014