Beginning with a modest 11-acre tract of land....
The Texas Legislature voted in 1899 that a normal school could be started in San Marcos if local citizens would furnish the land. The San Marcos City Council, meeting in a special session on October 16, 1899, voted to give an 11 acre tract of land, plus several lots, to the state for the normal school campus. Official state approval of the Normal School was given in 1901. Work on the first building, now known as Old Main, began in 1902. The normal school was ready for the 303 students and faculty members who were there when Southwest Texas State Normal School opened in 1903.
Beginning with the original 11 acres donated in 1899, the San Marcos campus has grown to 507 acres. In addition, Texas State University owns or controls an additional 4,102 acres of ranch land, recreational property, the STAR research park, and the Round Rock Campus, Texas for a total of 4609 acres.
Several major acquisitions have been made since 1903 when the University first held classes in Old Main. In 1951, the 126 acre University Camp on the Blanco River was donated to the University. In 1965, the Federal Government donated the San Marcos National Fish Hatchery, established in 1897 it was the oldest federal fish hatchery west of the Mississippi River. Other important acquisitions include the 79 acre former San Marcos Baptist Academy in 1979, Trusteeship of the 3,486 acre Freeman Ranch in 1985, the 90 acres surrounding Spring Lake once operated as Aquarena Springs Resort in 1994, and the 101 acre Round Rock Campus in 2004.
Member of The Texas State University System
The Board of Regents of The Texas State University System (TSUS), through authority vested by statute, has the sole and exclusive management and control of the lands set aside and appropriated to, or acquired by, The TSUS. The Board may sell, lease, and otherwise, manage, control, and use the lands in any manner and at any prices and under terms and conditions the Board deems best for the interest of The TSUS, not in conflict with the constitution.
The Board may acquire land, including improvements thereupon, needed for the proper operation of a system university. The acquisition may be by grant, purchase, exchange, gift, devise, or by condemnation.
As a member of The Texas State University System, all Texas State real property transactions must be approved by the Board of Regents during one of their scheduled or special called meetings.