Nomination Forms and Policies
Criteria for determining eligibility:
- The nominee:
- must be a regular full-time or regular part-time staff employee (except administrative officers as designated in the University Pay Plan); and
- must have worked at Texas State University for at least one year (cumulative).
- The selection committee will not normally consider a nominee previously named as employee of the month for a period of three years. Exceptional conditions will warrant review by the committee.
- The selection committee may not consider current Staff Employee Recognition Committee members for the award.
- Employees will be considered based on the following:
- What are the nominee’s job responsibilities that prompted the nomination?
- What has the nominee done to exemplify quality service at Texas State?
- Additional pertinent comments, with supporting documents uploaded to this online form.
Procedures for nomination and selection of employee of the month:
- Anyone may nominate an eligible employee (see Sections 03.01 a., b., and c.). The committee will not accept self-nominations.
- Twice a year, or as needed, the selection committee’s chair (or the chair’s staff) will send out a call for nominations email. The committee will address effective and efficient methods of accessibility on an annual basis to ensure employees receive the opportunity to submit nominations (i. e., email distribution, posters in buildings, etc.).
- Nominations must be submitted to the selection committee chair before the seventh day of the current month to be considered for the following month’s award. The committee will hold nominations received on or after the seventh day of the month for consideration of awards for the month after next.
- The criteria for evaluating a nomination include the nominee’s overall performance over time or the nominee’s outstanding performance for a specific event.
- The selection committee chair (or their staff) will verify each nominee’s eligibility through records in the Human Resources office.
- The selection committee chair (or their staff) will validate information contained in the nomination as deemed necessary.
- The chair of the selection committee (or their staff) will contact the appropriate vice president regarding nominations from their division to ensure the nominee is worthy of consideration prior to having the formal committee review the candidate’s submission form.
- The selection committee may ask a nominator (or the nominee’s supervisor) for additional information or clarification, if needed.
- The selection committee will review and rank nominations and will name the nominee receiving the highest ranking, as employee of the month.
- The nominee:
Procedures for Texas State Quarterly Team Recognition Program
Anyone may nominate a team for recognition. A team may include individuals from one or several divisions (i.e., cross-functional). Self-nominations are allowed. Although faculty and students can be included on a team, the team should be primarily comprised of staff.
A team is a group of people with complementary skills who are committed to a common purpose, performance goals, and approach for which they hold themselves mutually accountable.
The committee will review a team based on the following:
- Was exemplary service provided to on-campus clients, off-campus clients, or both? Explain.
- What was accomplished? Was the team responsible for a one-time project, or did the team develop new or improved standards and procedures?
- How did the team achieve its accomplishment?
- How did the team’s actions benefit the institution? Examples include: improved service, completed project ahead of schedule, saved money, reduced error rate, minimized time between initiation and completion of an action (cycle time, etc.).
- A summary stating the reason the committee should consider this team outstanding.
The chair of the selection committee will distribute a memorandum to the university community, quarterly, seeking nominations for the Quarterly Team Recognition Award. Persons may submit nominations to the chair. The selection committee will follow this calendar:
- Request for nominations: January 15, April 15, July 15, and October 15.
- Nominations due: February 1, May 1, August 1, and November 1.
- Staff Employee Recognition Committee meets for selection after: February 5, May 5, August 5, and November 5.
- Presentation of awards after: February 10, May 10, August 10, and November 10.
The selection committee chair (or their staff) will contact the appropriate division manager on submissions for teams in their division prior to having the formal committee review the nomination.
The selection committee chair (or their staff) will validate information contained in each nomination.
The selection committee will review and rank nominations and select the team receiving the highest ranking for the Quarterly Team Recognition Award.
Texas State University is committed to supporting the educational mission of the institution through efficient information storage and retrieval, appropriate auditing procedures, professional personnel services, and a safe environment. The following policy and procedure statement (PPS) contributes to the fulfillment of this policy.
This Finance and Support (FSS) PPS establishes quarterly FSS team recognition programs, defines the composition of the selection committee, eligibility criteria, nomination and selection procedures, award for the program, and discusses other employee recognition programs in the FSS division.
PROCEDURE FOR APPOINTING THE FSS TEAM RECOGNITION SELECTION COMMITTEE
The FSS Team Recognition Selection Committee will be appointed by the vice president for FSS (VPFSS) every two years. It will include the associate VPFSS Planning (serving as chair), one representative from Facilities, one from Transportation Services, one from the Auxiliary Services area, one from the Financial Services area, one from the Treasurer area, one from Environmental Health, Safety and Risk Management, one from the Budget Office, and one from Human Resources. In addition, the VPFSS will seek committee members from the provost and Academic Affairs Division (one) and from the Student Affairs Division (one).
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA, NOMINATION, AND SELECTION PROCEDURES
A team is a small number of people with diverse and complementary skills and backgrounds working together to achieve a common performance goal for which they hold themselves mutually accountable and for which they are held accountable as a group.
To be eligible for the FSS Team Award, a group of individuals identified as a team by an individual nominating the group for recognition will be considered by the selection committee upon review of the nomination form addressing the following:
a. exemplary service provided to on-campus or off-campus clients;
b. what was accomplished (was the team responsible for a one-time project or did the team develop new or improved standards and procedures);
c. how was it accomplished;
d. how did the team’s actions benefit the institution (e.g., improved service, completed project ahead of schedule, error rate reduced, time between initiation and completion of an action was minimized, etc.); and
e. why the team should be recognized.
a. VPFSS distributes request for nominations: December 10, March 10, June 10, and September 10.
b. Nominations due in VPFSS office: January 1, April 1, July 1, and October 1.
c. Committee meets for selection: January 5, April 5, July 5, and October 5.
The selection committee chair (or his or her staff) will contact the appropriate Business Services Council (BSC) manager on submissions for teams in his or her division prior to having the formal committee review the nomination.
PROCEDURES FOR PRESENTATION OF THE FSS TEAM AWARD
- The teams nominated will be recognized at the first scheduled Extended BSC meeting after the selection is made for the January and October selections. A reception held quarterly prior to the meeting is open to all FSS employees. The April and July selections will be announced at the April social and August kickoff, respectively.
- b. State law permits use of state funds for awards for professional achievement or other outstanding service if purchased through the State Purchasing Commission, the cost of which shall not exceed $75 per employee (e.g., lapel pins, plaques, engraved certificate, etc.).
- c. All members of the teams nominated will receive a prize (e.g., mug). The team members selected for the quarterly award will receive, in addition, a half-day off and a certificate signed by the vice president. Time off must be agreed to by the team member’s supervisor.
- d. Pictures of the team selected will be produced. One picture will be placed in a display case outside VPFSS’s office, and one will be published in the FSS Newsletter.
OTHER FSS EMPLOYEE RECOGNITION PROGRAMS (OTHER THAN QUARTERLY TEAMS)
Newsletter – A quarterly newsletter is published, and the VPFSS executive assistant is chair of the Newsletter Committee. Within this newsletter, recognition is given to new employees and employees’ acknowledgements and accomplishments.
Socials – An April social is held (which is usually a noon meal) for all FSS employees. A fall kick-off (which is done in conjunction with a breakfast) is held in August before the beginning of the school year for all FSS employees. All FSS Team Award winners for the previous fiscal year may be recognized at the kick-off.
Customer Service Awards – Customer Service Awards are announced at the Fall Kickoff. Extended BSC members may nominate up to four employees. When employees are nominated by someone outside their supervising line, the VPFSS will verify the nomination with the immediate supervisor. The VPFSS makes the final selection of eight individuals to receive a $400 award. The check is included on the August supplemental payroll.
Procedures for Presenting Awards and Benefits
Staff Employee of the Month:
- The staff employee of the month will receive $500 cash (less taxes) and a framed certificate signed by the Texas State president and the appropriate vice president. The vice president will present the certificate to the employee of the month, with supervisory staff present. University Marketing will photograph the presentation. The university will display a collage of the photographs on the fifth floor of the J. C. Kellam building.
- The university will give the selected employee administrative leave to take a day off from work. The employee should coordinate the choice of day with their immediate supervisor.
- Each month, the Human Resources Bulletin will recognize the selected employee as the staff employee of the month.
Staff Employee of the Year:
- The president will host an annual luncheon in August to honor the previous 12 staff employees of the month, as well as past recipients of the employee of the year award (still at Texas State). Each of the 12 staff employees of the month recipients may bring a guest.
- The president will announce the staff employee of the year at the annual luncheon in August and at the fall convocation.
- The staff employee of the year will receive an engraved plaque, $3,000 cash (less taxes), and a designated parking space close to the employee’s office for the fiscal year. University Marketing will photograph the presentation.
- An article in the university Human Resources Bulletin will recognize the person selected as the staff employee of the year. The university will display a collage of the photographs on the fifth floor of the J. C. Kellam building.
Texas State Quarterly Team Recognition:
- The appropriate vice president will recognize the team selected at a reception held quarterly (March, June, September, and December). The university will make available a maximum of $150 per team per reception. The vice president will determine the type of reception, and University Marketing will photograph the presentation.
- State law permits use of state funds for awards for professional achievement or other outstanding service if purchased through the General Services Commission, the cost of which shall not exceed $50 per employee (i.e., lapel pins, coffee cups, key rings, t-shirts, etc.). The Staff Employee Recognition Committee will select which award to present to each of the team members.
- Each member of the selected team will receive a certificate signed by the selection committee’s chair and the appropriate vice president.
- The selected staff employees will receive administrative leave to take a day off from work, which the employees should coordinate with their immediate supervisors.
- The Human Resources Bulletin will recognize all teams nominated.
- The university will display a collage of the photographs on the fifth floor of the J. C. Kellam building.
President’s Super Star:
The vice president (who forwarded the memo or letter to the president) will present a Texas State Super Star coffee cup, with no prior notice, to the honoree. The vice president will present the award briefly and informally before the recipient’s closest colleagues, at department meetings, or during an unscheduled visit to the recipient in their office. The vice president will copy the memo or letter sent to the president to the Human Resources office for inclusion in the Human Resources Bulletin.
Procedure for Appointing the Selection Committee
The vice president for Finance and Support Services (VPFSS) will appoint a selection committee for the Staff Employee and Team Recognition Programs. Committee members will have three-year staggered terms and will include two employees from each division. Each vice president will recommend employees from their division to the VPFSS. The associate VPFSS Planning will chair the committee and serve as a permanent representative from the Finance and Support Services division. Committee responsibilities cannot be delegated.