Skip to Content

Food Safety

Food Distribution on Campus

Is your department or organization hosting an event on campus where food will be served? If your event or activity is considered "open to the public," you are required to complete the Temporary Food Establishment (TFE) Permit Application. Closed events (including private tailgates, department potlucks, organization banquets, members-only events, etc.) are exempt from the TFE Permit Program.

Examples of "open" events include:

  • Events with open invitations for non-affiliates or non-members of the hosting organization or department
  • Activities (such as fundraising or outreach) where prepared food is sold/given away in common areas to those passing by (e.g. the Quad, Mall, Bobcat Trail, etc.)

Temporary Food Establishment (TFE) Permit Program

If your department, faculty/staff organization, or Registered Student Organization will be serving food to the public on campus, please complete the TFE Permit Application. If you are hosting a recurring event or an event that will occur over multiple days where the same food/beverage will be served, the Multi-Day Event Request Addendum may be submitted in addition to the TFE Permit Application.

NOTE: Please read the following information carefully before submitting a TFE Permit Application:

  1. TFE Permit Applications must be submitted to EHSRM ( for review and approval at least ten (10) business days prior to the event.
  2. Prior to submitting the TFE Permit Application, at least one member of your organization/department must complete Texas Food Handler Training. See below for more information about Texas Food Handler Training.
  3. Complete and sign the TFE Permit Application and include all requested documentation (food handler permits, vendor information, foods served, etc.).
    • Download and save the fillable form on to your computer. This will allow you to type in your information, save it, and email it to
    • If you are serving food from a restaurant, you must provide the restaurant's Retail Food Permit.
  4. Approval from EHSRM must be issued prior to initiation of any temporary food service operation.
  5. In addition to the TFE Permit Application, Solicitation Request Forms and other necessary documentation must also be completed and approved by the department approving the space reservation request (e.g. Student Involvement, Campus Recreation, etc.).

During events that involve the distribution of cooked/prepared foods, Student Involvement and/or EHSRM may conduct random food safety inspections. During the course of the inspections, non-compliance with food handling standards will be noted and must be corrected immediately. Food services will be suspended if a potential food risk is not immediately corrected. Safe food handling practices and inspections are in accordance with the Texas Food Establishment Rules (TFER) 25 TAC 229.161 — 229.171, 229.173 — 229.175. The TFER provides the rules for which inspections are based upon to prevent foodborne illness. In addition, organizations serving food must comply with the policy Food Safety for Temporary Food Establishments on Campus.

Texas Food Handler Training Course

If your department or organization will be providing food at events open to the public, at least one person with a Texas Food Handler Certification is required to be present at your TFE at all times. Environmental Health, Safety & Risk Management (EHSRM), in partnership with Student Involvement, provides Texas Food Handler Training for students, staff, and faculty. Classroom training is provided throughout the long semesters, while online training is offered through TRACS year-round. Sign up for classroom training sessions using the link below. If you prefer to complete Texas Food Handler Training online, please email us at

Classroom Schedule

Date Time Location Max #
Thursday, September 26, 2019 2:00pm - 3:30pm LBJSC 3-21.2 30
Friday, October 4, 2019 11:00am - 12:30pm LBJSC 3-7.1 30
Wednesday, October 16, 2019 5:30pm - 7:00pm LBJSC 3-9.1 30
Tuesday, November 5, 2019 11:00am - 12:30pm LBJSC 3-7.1 30
Wednesday, November 13, 2019 11:00am - 12:30pm LBJSC 3-6.1 30

Before registering for the Texas Food Handler Course, please review the following:

  • A valid student PLID (A#) and email are required in order to register for the training.
  • Attend and successfully complete the classroom training. A minimum score of 70% is required for successful completion.
  • If you prefer to complete Texas Food Handler Training online, please email us at
  • Once you have successfully completed the training, you will be issued a Food Handler Certificate.
  • Food Handler Certificates are valid for 2 years after training date.
  • The certificate must be present while serving food at an open event or for sale of food to the public while on Texas State property.

 Note: Please arrive on time for the training. The class will begin promptly as scheduled.