Food Distribution on Campus
Is your department or organization hosting an event on campus where food will be served? If your event or activity is considered "open to the public," you are required to complete the Temporary Food Establishment (TFE) Permit Application. Closed events (including private tailgates, department potlucks, organization banquets, members-only events, etc.) are exempt from the TFE Program.
Examples of "open" events include:
- Events with open invitations for non-affiliates or non-members of the hosting organization or department
- Activities (such as fundraising or outreach) where prepared food is sold/given away in common areas to those passing by (e.g. the Quad, Mall, Bobcat Trail, etc.)
Temporary Food Establishments are not permitted to operate for more than 14 consecutive days in conjunction with a single event or celebration. If your department, faculty/staff organization, or Registered Student Organization is planning to serve food at an open event on campus, please complete the TFE Permit Application.
At least ten (10) business days prior to your event, TFE Permit Applications must be submitted to EHSRM (firstname.lastname@example.org) for review and approval. Approval from EHSRM must be issued prior to initiation of any temporary food service operation. Prior to submitting the TFE Permit Application, at least one member of your organization/department must complete the Texas Food Handler Course to ensure safe food handling practices are followed (see below for more information). Safe food handling practices and inspections are in accordance with the Texas Food Establishment Rules (TFER) 25 TAC 229.161 — 229.171, 229.173 — 229.175. The TFER provides the rules for which inspections are based upon to prevent foodborne illness. In addition, organizations serving food must comply with the policy Food Safety for Temporary Food Establishments on Campus policy.
In addition to the TFE Permit Application, Solicitation Request Forms and other necessary documentation must also be completed and approved by the department approving the space reservation request (e.g. Student Involvement, Campus Recreation, etc.). During events that involve the distribution of prepared foods, Student Involvement and/or EHSRM will conduct random safety inspections. During the course of the inspections, non-compliance with food handling standards will be noted and must be corrected immediately. Food services will be suspended if a potential food risk is not immediately corrected.
Texas Food Handler Course
Environmental Health, Safety and Risk Management (EHSRM), in partnership with Student Involvement, offers classroom training throughout the fall and spring semesters. Registered Student Organizations and faculty/staff organizations who intend to sell or provide food at events open to the public must complete the training prior to serving or selling any food items. If you prefer to complete the Texas Food Handler Course online, please email us at email@example.com.
Texas Food Handler Course
Texas Food Handler Course is required for all students, staff, and faculty serving food on campus. Clink the icon to sign up for a training!
Before registering for the Texas Food Handler Course, please review the following:
- A valid Texas State PLID and email are required in order to register for the training.
- Attend and successfully complete the classroom training. A minimum score of 70% is required for successful completion.
- If you prefer to complete the Texas Food Handler Course online, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once you have successfully completed the training, you will be issued a Food Handler Certificate.
- Food Handler Certificates are valid for 2 years after training date.
- The certificate must be present while serving food at an open event or for sale of food to the public while on Texas State property.
Note: Please arrive on time for the training. The class will begin promptly as scheduled.
|Wednesday, September 5, 2018||2:30 pm - 4:30 pm||LBJSC 4-1.6||48|
|Thursday, September 20, 2018||10:30 am -12:30 pm||LBJSC 4-1.6||48|
|Thursday, October 11, 2018||2:30 pm - 4:30 pm||LBJSC 4-1.6||48|
|Thursday, November 8, 2018||10:30 am -12:30 pm||LBJSC 4-1.6||48|
|Wednesday, January 30, 2019||10:30 am -12:30 pm||LBJSC 4-1.6||48|
|Thursday, February 21, 2019||2:30 pm - 4:30 pm||LBJSC 3-3.1||64|
|Wednesday, March 13, 2019||10:30 am - 12:30 pm||LBJSC 3-3.1||64|