Every person working in the food industry has a responsibility to prepare food that is safe and suitable to eat. This course will help you to better understand the importance of food safety and how you can prevent foodborne illnesses. Any organization planning an event that will consist of preparing and/or serving food for sale on Texas State University property must complete a Food Handler Course to ensure safe food handling practices are followed.
Departments, faculty/staff organizations, and/or registered student organizations planning an event that will consist of preparing and/or serving food for sale or give away on Texas State University property must complete a Food Handler Course to ensure safe food handling practices are followed. Safe food handling practices and inspections are in accordance with the Texas Food Establishment Rules (TFER) 25 TAC 229.161 — 229.171, 229.173 — 229.175. The TFER provides the rules for which inspections are based upon to prevent foodborne illness. In addition, organizations serving food must comply with the Food Safety for Temporary Food Establishments on Campus policy.
The Environmental Health, Safety and Risk Management (EHS&RM) office in partnership with Student Involvement will offer classroom courses at the beginning of each semester. Registered student and/or faculy and staff organizations who intend to sell or provide food at open events must complete the classroom training prior to serving or selling any food items.
Paperwork for reserving space on campus and solicitation forms must also be provided in advance to the appropriate office. During events that involve the sale of food items Student Involvement or EHS will conduct random safety inspections. During the course of the inspections, non-compliance with food handling standards will be noted and must be corrected immediately. Food services will be suspended if a potential food risk is not immediately corrected.
Classroom Training Schedule
The Food Handler safety training course is conducted periodically during the school year. The following classes are scheduled for the Fall 2015 & Spring 2016 semesters. Please follow the link to register for one of the courses. http://signup.txstate.edu/topics/431-food-handlers-certification
|Thursday, September 21, 2017||2:30 pm - 4:30 pm||LBJSC 4-1.6||48|
|Wednesday, October 18, 2017||10:30 am -12:30 pm||LBJSC 4-1.6||48|
|Wednesday, January 24, 2018||10:30 am -12:30 pm||LBJSC 4-1.6||48|
|Wednesday, March 28, 2018||10:30 am - 12:30 pm||LBJSC 4-1.6||48|
- A valid Texas State PLID and email are required in order to register for the training.
- Attend and successfully complete the classroom training. A minimum score of 70% is required for successful completion.
- Once you have successfully completed the training. You will be issued a Food Handler Certificate.
- Food Handler Certificates are valid for 2 years after training date.
- The certificate must be present while serving food at an open event or for sale of food to the public while on Texas State property.
Note: Please arrive on time for the training. The class will begin promptly as scheduled.
- Upon successful completion of the training you will be issued a Food Handler Certificate and card. The card must be on your person whenever you are involved in the prepartion and/or sale of food on campus.
- If you have lost your Food Handler Certificate or card contact Student Involvement or EHS&RM for a replacement. There is a $5.00 fee for a replacement.